- 1 pound dried chickpeas or 2 large cans chickpeas
- 3 medium onions chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 large tomatoes peeled and diced or 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons dried rosemary (to taste) or a sprig of fresh rosemary
- 3 laurel/bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon each of salt, pepper and oregano
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup of water
Note: If using dried chickpeas you will need to soak them overnight in water with
½ cup of baking soda.
Rinse the chickpeas, drain and set aside.
In a dutch oven or large deep skillet heat the olive oil and add the onions and
garlic, sautéing until tender. Add the tomatoes, rosemary, bay leaves, salt,
pepper and oregano and cook for approximately 10 minutes. Add the chickpeas
and cook for an additional 5 minutes and stir in the water. Pour the mixture into
a clay pot or Dutch oven (you may also put into a baking pan and cover well with
Bake with lid on at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.