- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 12 oz baby portobello mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small red pepper, finely diced
- 1 small green pepper, finely diced
- 4 tablespoons manouri cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 tablespoons dried mitzithra cheese
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
Start by heating the vegetable broth over medium-low heat. Just bring to a simmer and keep warm.
In a saucepan or large pot, over medium-high heat, add the olive oil, onion, red and green peppers, mushrooms and garlic and cook until soft, add the thyme and mix well. Next add the Arborio rice and cook for 1-2 minutes or until lightly toasted and rice becomes opaque or translucent. Then add the wine and let it cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute to let the alcohol cook off. Season with salt and pepper and stir well. Next, add the vegetable broth, ½ cup at a time and continuing to stir until liquid is absorbed, continue doing this until you’ve used all of the liquid and the risotto is creamy. Remove from heat, add in the butter and cheeses, and stir well.